About Me

My photo
Cochin, Kerala, India
send in your feedback to - rajit.rangan@gmail.com

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Back to cochin...

This would be the first time I have posted something on the blog from Cochin. For those who dont know, I am working in Cochin and I originally hail from Kayamkulam, a small town known for our own mallu version of Robin Hood. Mr Kayamkulam Kochunni. Like his English counterpart, Mr Kochunni too  stole from the rich and distributed amongst the poor. Well, our mallu TV channels portrayed him as some sort of freedom fighter, but I haven't heard anything supporting that in the stories told by the older folk.

Well, coming back to Cochin. I've been working in Cochin from the end of 2007 till date. To be honest, I've fallen for the Queen of the Arabian Sea. This city is beautiful and welcoming. There is a pace to this place, more than what I observed in my hometown or maybe even in the capitol city, Trivandrum. Life seems faster at Cochin, but the people are still warm and friendly. The influx crowd offers a major share of the population. Hence we find multiple languages spoken here every now and then. Mallus speaking flawless hindi, marathi, tamil and more are not a hard find just like gujrathis and punjabis talking flawless malayalam. Cosmopolitan to the core.

I have been down with throat and chest infection for the most part of  February. Just returned to Cochin after many weeks of antibiotics. And it feels nice to be back. Have to meet up with friends here, lots of catching up to do, but before all that I have to clean up my room. Its a  complete mess and will take lots of will power to initiate the cleanup program. Hopefully I will muster the strength to take initiative.

For those of you who still dont know, I work in a BPO. I service the customer service needs of Americans right here from Cochin. I have previously been with technical support but now it is pure customer service. The voice you hear when you call an 800 number from the US of A could be mine. And if you hang up and call again, you may reach the guy sitting right next to me. Its a fun place to  work, the average age of all employees there would be in the twenties hence the energy level would always be high. And yes, we are all nocturnal. We work according to EST, which just means that we sleep during the day and work at night. To make it more intriguing, we say that we work in the American time zone.

Many of my friends have asked me over and over again to share my experiences at work through the blog. Yes, there are instances which may make us laugh and sometimes think as well. But you, my dear reader should know that I still work here. What I write could include instances where my colleagues are involved. And owing to the fact that the blog is open to  all and that it is gaining popularity (who am I kidding?), it could be read by one of my office mates and it could even cost me my job. Lets not take that leap yet. I am analyzing the possibilities, I'm sure that a consensus will be reached.

And let me also include a disclaimer here. I deliberately refrain from using the names of any of my friends in the blog because most of them said that it may affect the  global appeal of the blog. If I use names, those who know the people I write about may find it a good read but those who dont, may not. Hence my dear friends I keep it generic. Let me sign off today with a toast to you my reader and to Cochin. Honestly it does feel great to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment