About Me

My photo
Cochin, Kerala, India
send in your feedback to - rajit.rangan@gmail.com

Friday, February 25, 2011

My writing, a flashback.

I must be honest with you all. I still haven't convinced myself that I am or even could be a writer. I have received acclaim while I was in school and college for my linguistic talents, but I still consider myself an amateur. I remember that as a boy in school I wrote poems, can’t recall the inspiration behind them. Later on I tried my hand at short story writing and essay writing. I preferred writing to elocution or recitation maybe because of genuine stage fright. I recall that my events during any school fest would be confined to the safe zone of writing.

It was during the 9th or 10th grade that I got lured into dramatics. I owe the complete credit to a few of my closest friends and the Malayalam teacher at that time. Though I had opted for Hindi as my second language, this Malayalam teacher had inspired me and given the courage to think about dramatics, a new creative toy for all of us at that time. We guys were completely influenced by cinema at that time and hence dramatics possibly gave us our chance to experience what could be happening on celluloid.

I must mention here that I was neither selected nor a part of the first attempt at dramatics at our school, but my friends was. This possibly planted a seed in my subconscious. And to be extremely truthful, the first drama I wrote was a shameless translation of a story from our Hindi text book, and the drive or objective behind that was to bunk classes and have fun with friends. None of us had any clue of what we were doing. In the name of rehearsals we bunked classes, a whole lot of them and tried to perfect the complex arts of acting, direction, choreography, and script writing at our own free will.

Poetry and prose were then confined to the school magazines alone. I did translate another story, from our English text this time into a Malayalam drama though. Let me include here that I have not won accolades or recognition that go beyond a few prize certificates and more participation certificates. And I was never concerned about them. To me it was extremely satisfying because I had a lot of fun doing those things.

As per a readers review, I was advised to keep my blog posts short and in smaller paragraphs. Hence let me close this post. To be continued on new posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment